Tomato Balsamic Soup
Author: Dash of Thyme
Recipe type: Soups & Salads
- 1 Tbsp Dash of Thyme Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans of whole tomatoes, in their juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp Dash of Thyme Traditional Style Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- Chives for topping (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the diced onion in our EVOO, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook it for another minute.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and 2 cans of whole tomatoes.
- Using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes until they are all broken up.
- Add in the bay leaf, brown sugar, and chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Pour half of the soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Strain the soup and repeat the process with the second half.
- Return the strained soup to the pot and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for several more minutes.
- Serve the soup immediately topped with chives.