Mustard & Sage Turkey Cutlets with Barley Salad
Author: Dash of Thyme
Recipe type: Entrées
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups quick cooking barley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 (6 oz.) turkey cutlets, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp. Dash of Thyme Wild Mushroom & Sage Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. Dash of Thyme French Tarragon White Balsamic Vinegar
- Place two cups chicken broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add barley and ½ tsp. salt and simmer until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water and place in a bowl.
- Pat cutlets dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon EVOO in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Heat one tablespoon of the Wild Mushroom and Sage EVOO in the now empty skillet, add shallot, and cook until soft, about one minute.
- Add remaining one cup broth and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in mustard and sage and cook until slightly reduced, 3-4 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup pan sauce to barley along with apples, cranberries, remaining one tablespoon Wild Mushroom Sage EVOO and Tarragon Balsamic.
- Stir to combine and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Return turkey and any accumulated juices to skillet and simmer to warm through, about one minute.
- Serve with barley salad.