Lentil Salad with Walnuts
Author: Dash of Thyme
Recipe type: Soups & Salads
- 2 cups green lentils, washed and picked over
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 6 cups water
- Salt to taste, freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup broken walnuts
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp Dash of Thyme Red Wine Specialty Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced, or 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup Dash of Thyme Roasted Walnut Oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaf, onion, carrot and water in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
- Add salt to taste (1 to 2 teaspoons), reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 35 to 45 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Drain through a strainer set over a bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and shallot or garlic.
- Whisk in the oil and 2 to 4 tbsp of the liquid from the lentils.
- Stir into the lentils.
- Add the parsley and pepper and taste to adjust salt.
- Spoon onto plates, arrange walnuts on top of the lentils, and serve.