Caramelized Balsamic-Red Onion Soup with Cheese-Topped Croutons
- ¼ cup Dash of Thyme Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 large red onions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Dash of Thyme Traditional Dark Balsamic Condimento
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 6 cups water
- ⅕ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices French bread for croutons
- ¾ cup grated Swiss cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add the oil and butter.
- Add the sliced onions and salt, and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and mustard, stir well, and cook for five minutes.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes in oven.
- Carefully remove the sheet, and turn on the broiler.
- Divide the cheese between the slices of bread/croutons. Set the sheet under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 30 seconds.
- Season the soup with black pepper and, if needed, more salt. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a cheesy crouton. Serve immediately.